Pages

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

How do YOU get blessed??

I just posted on my Facebook page that tonight I went to church. Now, for those people who know me, this is not a revelation, because I'm always in church. But tonight, I went to church and actually SAT AND LISTENED. No computer. No distractions. I sat. I listened ... and it was wonderful.

It seems like I'm always in the computer booth at church, which is something I love to do. I did this exact same job at my former church for years and years. I loved doing it then. I love doing it now. I love what I do ... understand?? I love the whole "behind-the-scenes" stuff ... to see the preparation of what goes on to produce wonderful music for the upcoming Sunday ... to hear the instrumentalists say tonight that none of them knew this one particular song, but they all stuck with it, and what seemed to be just a few minutes later, they pretty much had it. Amazing!! To me, all of this just enhances the praise and worship that is to come on Sunday. To know which song the musicians struggled with, then to see that the end result on Sunday is a church full of people worshipping the Lord is a wonderful thing to experience. It has brought me to tears more than once. Man, for a guy I sure do cry a lot ... whatever!!

I'm so jealous of anyone who can play instruments as well as these guys. (I knew I should have kept playing my alto sax!! Crud!!!) And although I'm not an instrumentalist, to feel like I'm part of a team is something that means a lot to me. Oh, and by the way, this is just an off-topic thing ... Last Sunday evening, I sang 4 lines of "How Great Thou Art" for our music minister, Christopher. He said that I had "pipes". That put a smile on my face for the rest of the night. OK, back on topic now ... I stayed behind tonight to watch the praise and worship practice. Did I have to do that?? No. But I've been involved in the behind-the scenes stuff at churches for what seems to be my whole life (since I was born on the front pew that is a distinct possibility), and all of this still fascinates me. I still love it.

After service tonight, I joked with my pastor's wife, Dottie, that I was jealous of her. When she asked me why, I told her because she has had so many years of getting to hear Pastor's wonderful sermons. She literally has had a front-row seat to it all. I think she appreciated me saying that.

But, all of this brings to my mind a question ... When you're a member of church leadership, or part of the staff, or someone in the sound booth, how do you get blessed??

For example, I have a friend, Brian, who recently became a member of our church staff, so the church is now his place of employment. And on Sundays, I see that he's responsible for specific tasks, so Sundays are, in essence, an extension of his work, and I know his mind is often on the things he gets asked to do. So ... how does he get blessed??

I see Pastor Edwards preach wonderful sermons, visit the sick in hospitals, constantly reaching out to his congregation. I hope he knows how deeply he affects people with the words he speaks. But, to be honest, it's rare that I see people actually pray for him. So ... how does he get blessed?

I came into church last Sunday earlier than normal, and could hear our music minister, Christopher McLellan, practicing at the piano in the prayer room for the upcoming Easter choir musical. Tonight, while people were praying at church, he was at the piano providing some of the music. On Wednesday evenings and Sunday mornings, I watch him practicing with the choir before service, and on Sunday mornings and evenings, he's leading the congregation into praise and worship (and doing it quite well, I might add!!! The man can sing and play, like, 237 instruments.) But that's what he's been hired to do. That is his job. He leads, but can he ever actually participate?? There's such a difference in that. In order to do that, I think he would have to fake laryngitis one of these Sundays (there's an idea, Chris!!) :-) But, as I watch him from the sound booth, I sometimes wonder ... how does he get blessed?

Back in the day, I helped get the praise and worship music together for my former church, and to be completely honest ... it was a JOB!!! I know the work that is involved in all of that. I get it. It's different when you love what you do, but nevertheless, it was still extremely time-consuming.

So, I'm asking these questions, but do I have an answer?? Well, I can only speak for myself, but I realize that, for me, the blessing is in the work. Whether they realize it or not, everyone who steps through the doors at my church plays a part in the church service. Whether that part is simply as a spectator who walks in, sits, listens, then leaves. Or as a member of the board. Or as a ridiculously good-looking computer operator (who is getting thinner by the day -- just had to throw that in there).

I believe that as the ones who play a larger role than as a spectator, we are the fortunate ones. We get to serve others. We get to assist in helping people achieve a blessing they may otherwise have not felt prior to walking in the doors. Some may experience an answer to prayer, or a healing, during a church service, and we get to play a part in that, and that is priceless. We are the fortunate ones. Sometimes, in the midst of the work, it's easy to forget that. If you sit back and think about it ... really think about it ... to be able to bless others with the gifts God has given us ... that's what it's all about. We really are the fortunate ones.

2 comments:

Kristin B - Buyers Agent said...

I totally agree with you Ryan. And to be honest...I think that Christopher is able to worship on Sunday mornings/evenings b/c he knows that after we have practiced the Holy Spirit is going to move and therefore he is free to worship with out worry. And yes, even the sound booth plays a major role at the church...with out you and Dale and occasionally Jack...Pastor and others would have to shout from the stage to be heard.
*side note* What are you doing to lose your weight???

Keep doing what your doing and keep listening to what God wants you to do...I think your doing great! :)

Ryan said...

Sorry Kristin, I forgot to answer your question ... I'm just watching carefully, really carefully, what I eat. However, I definitely have my "cheat day" because I'm a weak foodie man and I can't watch this stuff all the time!! :-)

I went out to eat last night at a Mexican restaurant with friends, and because my car is programmed to automatically head to the nearest White Castle, I ended up there around midnight (hmmm, funny how that happens). But, I'm back on the wagon today.

The thing is that I can put up with a whole lot, but when I'm sick of something, I'm sick of it and that's pretty much it ... time for a change. It's kind of like a switch has been flipped in me, and when that happens, change usually comes pretty easily. The challenge I had is getting to that place, but I'm in that mindset now...

Now I just need to find out how to deprogram my car from heading to White Castle ... :-)